CASSATA EASY-BAKE SUPER SPONGE CAKE
(This Recipe Makes A Round Pan Size – Diameter 6 Inch by Height 3 Inch. Cake Can Be Sliced Into 2 or 3 Layers)
Egg yolks 3
Salt 1g (1/4 teaspoon)
Egg whites 3
Sugar 90 grams
Cake flour 90 grams
Vegetable oil 30 grams (2 tablespoons)
Milk 30 grams (2 tablespoons)
Cassata Vanilla Oil 2.5ml (half teaspoon)
This Recipe Makes A Round Pan Size – Diameter 8 Inch by Height 3 Inch (Cake Can Be Sliced Into 2 or 3 Layers)
Egg yolks 4
Salt 1.3g (1/3 teaspoon)
Egg whites 4
Sugar 120 grams
Cake flour 120 grams
Vegetable oil 40 grams (2 tablespoons)
Milk 40 grams (2 tablespoons)
Cassata Vanilla Oil 1/2 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon
1. Grease and line either a 6 inch by 3 inch pan, or an 8 inch by 3 inch pan. Preheat your oven to 170 degrees centigrade / 338 degrees fahrenheit.
2. With a wooden spoon, gently mix together in a small bowl the egg yolks, vanilla oil & salt until well combined and without lumps.
3. Make the meringue: With a hand mixer or stand mixer using the ballon whisk, mix egg whites on high speed until white and foamy. Then add in the sugar in three batches while continuously mixing the egg whites. After all the sugar has been added in, continue to mix the egg white at high speed until you get soft peaks (demonstrated in the video). When soft peaks are achieved you have your meringue. Stop mixing at this point and move onto the next stage.
4. Slowly mix in the egg yolk mixture into the meringue at the lowest speed setting on your mixer and stop when it is just combined.
5. Sift in the cake flour into the meringue and with a wooden spoon or spatula, gently fold in the flour into the meringue until just combined with no pockets of flour remaining.
6. Mix the milk and vegetable oil together in a small bowl until well combined. Pour about two wooden spoonfuls of the cake batter into the oil mixture. With a wooden spoon fold the batter into the oil mixture until just combined and a smooth consistency (dont over-mix).
7. Now pour the oil/batter mixture into the rest of the batter and gently fold in together until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix so that you dont deflate your meringue. P.S. the meringue is the only raising agent in this cake.
8. Pour immediately into the prepared cake pan, gently run a thin knife or skewer around the batter in a cicle motion, ending in the center of the cake.
9. Drop the pan from about a 5 inch height about 2 to 4 times and immediately place pan in the center of the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
10. The cake is ready when a skewer dipped into it comes out clean. The top of the cake will be bouncy to the touch.
11. Immediately the cake comes out of the oven drop the cake again 2 to 3 times from about a 5 inch height (use oven gloves as cake will be hot now).
12. Allow the cake to cool down for about 15 minutes then invert it unto a wire rack. Turn the cake over right side up and allow it to cool completely before decorating it or you can eat it warm.
**This cake can be made in other flavours eg strawberry, lemon, orange, apple,chocolate,etc. If you are using cassata oils, for lemon, orange and strawberry use a drop or half of 1/8 teaspoon for the 6 inch recipe, and 1/8 teaspoon for the 8 inch recipe.
** This cake can keep well tightly wrapped or in an airtight container on your kitchen counter unrefrigerated for up to two days. It can also be frozen for up to three months.
** To help the cake retain moisture, when decorating, after cutting the cake into layers, brush the cut side of each layer with sugar syrup before filling the cake with cream or any other filling of your choice. See sugar syrup and cake fillings recipes in Module 14 & see Module 3 for techniques on how to layer, dam, fill and cover your cassata cakes.
** Use any tasteless vegetables oil, or sunflower oil, olive oil, canola oil, for this cake.